In May 18, 1854 workmen had begun blasting (DuPont powder, Brandywine granite) stone for a new place of worship for a congregation of between 250 and 300 (which Alexis thought too small).  As is not infrequently the case with such projects, there was an overrun in construction costs, which Gilpin had estimated at $6,000.  The final bill was $23,000. There were construction delays too, and the first service in the new building was not held till May 4, 1856.

01-front-lr

Front Facade

02-side-entry-1-lr

Side Entry

03-ext-window-lr

Exterior Window Detail

Comments are closed.

Christ Church Christiana Hundred

Wilminton Delaware

1854