Christ Church is located in Alexandria’s Old Town, at the southwest corner of North Washington and Cameron Streets. The brick two-story church measures about 60 feet by 50 feet. Comparable to the less altered Pohick Church in the same parish, the church has been embellished with stone quoins and window surrounds. The roof is a simple hipped structure. A prominent tower was added between 1785 and 1815, as well as upper level galleries in the interior.
The Episcopal congregation that commissioned the church’s construction was founded in 1765, when Fairfax Parish was established. The vestry commissioned the construction of two churches, this one and another at Falls Church. The design of both buildings was by Colonel James Wren.