On June 25th 1842, four trustees of the Protestant Episcopal Church of
Middleburg purchased a quarter acre lot to erect a church. On July 21st,
1843, Virginia Assistant Bishop John Johns consecrated Emmanuel, a
30’ x 40’ building, seating 40. In 1853, Emmanuel separated from
Upperville and joined Aldie in the new Johns Parish, named after the
bishop. Also, Reverend Ovid A. Kinsolving became rector, serving until
1870. Emmanuel purchased a building in 1856 as a parsonage which
Senior Warden William Benton enlarged. Senior Warden Asa Rogers,
an original trustee, became a Confederate Brigadier General in 1861.
In 1863, Union troops imprisoned Rector Kinsolving for several months in
Washington, on suspicion of preaching secession.