Trinity Church in Marshall, 4 miles away, was found to be too distant from the body of the congregation at Oak Hill and it was decided to build a church nearby. John Thomas Smith and Margaret Lewis Marshall Smith gave the land for the Episcopal church. The land was a portion of the property Mrs. Smith had inherited from her father, Thomas Marshall, the son of the fourth Chief Justice of the United States, John Marshall. At a cost of $1,600 they built a small white frame church with tall clear arched windows set in a grove of oaks and poplars close to the road that connected Thoroughfare Gap and Ashby’s Gap. On July 23, 1859 Bishop William Meade consecrated it Emmanuel Church and it became the third church in Piedmont Parish.