Rightly called “the Mother Church of Northern Virginia,” Pohick was the first permanent church in the colony to be established north of the Occoquan River, sometime prior to 1724. Originally called “the Occoquan Church,” it was soon referred to as “Pohick Church” because of its proximity to Pohick Creek. George Washington’s map of the area locates this long-lost wooden edifice near a site now occupied by Cranford Methodist Church.

pohick-side1-lr

South Facade

pohick-int-1-lr

Santuary View from the Gallery

pohick-int3-lr

Pulpit

pohick-int4-lr

Altar

 

 

pohick-front1-lr

East Facade

Comments are closed.

Pohick Church

Lorton, Virginia

1724