St. Helena’s Church was established in 1712, just a couple short decades after the initial English explorers landed, and was established as the Parish Church of St. Helena. This first parish was originally affiliated with the Church of England, a relatively new branch of Christianity that was founded by Henry VIII in the 1500s. Construction of the chapel commenced in 1724, with this first structure undergoing a re-build in 1769, and again in 1817. Despite this attention to repairs and remodels, the church was demolished to the ground in 1842, (with the exception of the western extension), to make room to expand the church on the northern and southern ends.

South Facade

02-ext-entry-lr

Main Entrance

03-ext-rear-lr

View from the Southest

05-ext-steeple-lr

Steeple

06-int-sanc-lr

View from the Aisle to the Altar

07-int-sanc-rear-lr

Ailse View to the Rear Gallery

08-int-stair-lr

North Gallery Stairway

09-int-alter-lr

Altar

10-int-sanc-abv-lr

Sanctuary viewd from the Gallery

 

featured

South Facade

Comments are closed.

St. Helenas Church

Beaufort, South Carolina

1724