St. Mark’s Church was built in 1805, and following the visit of the Right Reverend John Strachan, Bishop of Toronto, a subscription was begun to enlarge the church and by 1841 the addition of the transepts was completed. The east window was installed at that time, as well as the four tablets beside it, bearing the ten commandments, the Lord’s Prayer and the Creed. Balconies were constructed on all three sides of the Church, primarily for the seating of the troops from the Fort. Additionally , in 1843 two high pulpits were added, their sloped ceiling providing sufficient acoustical quality to allow the speaker to be heard throughout the Church.

front-1

Front Facade

entry

Entry Doors

Comments are closed.

St. Marks Church

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

1805