In 1706, owing to the lack of the established church on the northern shore of the Elk River, the colonial legislature and governor of Maryland established the North Elk Parish. As was the custom in England, the Lord of the Manor on which the parish was to be located, in this case, Henry Harford, the illegitimate son of Frederick, Lord Baltimore, set aside four acres of land for the establishment of the church buildings. Early survey maps indicate that sometime between 1709 and 1715 a wooden church was built on this land, the site of the present church, but no details about this first building are known.

rear

Rear Facade

front-1

Front view of church

Comments are closed.

St. Mary Anne’s Parish Church

North East, Maryland

1706