St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is an historic Episcopal church in Richmond, Virginia, United States. Located directly across the street from the Virginia State Capitol, it has long been a popular house of worship for political figures, including General Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis.
Other notable people associated with the church are Rev. Dr. Charles Minnigerode who led the church during the Civil War and Reconstruction eras. The Right. Rev. John Shelby Spong, (now retired as bishop of the Diocese of Newark), began to attract national attention while rector of St. Paul’s (1969–1976).
St. Paul’s was built in 1845 as a branch of the Monumental Church, which had outgrown its building. The Greek Revival church was designed by Thomas Somerville Stewart and modeled largely on St. Luke’s Church, now Church of St. Luke & the Epiphany. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 as St. Paul’s Church.